California Beach News

Huntington Beach Joins 6 California Cities in Redevelopment Lawsuit Against State

The City of Huntington Beach and its redevelopment agency recently filed a lawsuit with six California cities (Oxnard, Carlsbad, Culver City, Ontario, Palmdale and Inglewood, and each city’s redevelopment agency, plus LINC Housing Corp. of Long Beach,) to keep redevelopment alive.

On January 26, just 5 days before the deadline to disband over 400 redevelopment agencies in California, Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg said Senate measure, SB 659, to push back the deadline until April 15 is “not going to happen”. He referred to a Senate Bill introduced to extend the shutdown process till April 15. When asked about the Senate bill, Governor Jerry Brown said last week in Los Angeles, “I don’t think we can delay this funeral.” Over 400 agencies must begin shutting down their redevelopment agencies and have a Jan. 31 deadline of assigning a successor agency to handle the shutdown process.

The lawsuit partially funded by Surf City centers on the way two state Assembly bills are intertwined. One killed redevelopment agencies and the second allowed them to continue with modifications. The bills can’t be split apart and therefore the one dissolving redevelopment can’t be implemented, the suit argues.

Los Angeles legal firm Kane, Ballmer & Berkman is representing HB and other cities. The complaint highlights a portion of the first bill that says its enactment is contingent on the second. If they are not severable, the failure of one would cause the failure of the other, according to the lawsuit. Oxnard city attorney said he expects his city’s share of the lawsuit to be less than $10,000.

Lawsuits on a variety of issues in the wake of the Supreme Court’s 2011 decision are expected according to Brown, who says the state will handle them and continue to move forward.

This entry was posted on Friday, January 27th, 2012 and is filed under Latest. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

One Response to “Huntington Beach Joins 6 California Cities in Redevelopment Lawsuit Against State”

  1. Ron "RJ" Jones on January 28th, 2012 at 3:58 am

    City of Cerritos v. California, California Superior Court ruling came down today. Judge Lloyd Connelly rejected a request to issue an injunction to stop the break up of RDAs. The cities look at their very own government (state) as them against us (cities). When these same politicians get elected to state government, “them” becomes “us”.